Our practice hosts the following services and clinics:
- Opening TimesBuckden- Tuesday afternoon Little Paxton- Wednesday afternoon
- Additional InformationOur patients can now come to either Buckden or Little Paxton Surgery in order to have their anti-coagulation/ warfarin bloods taken. The monitoring results then go straight into our patients’ electronic records.
- Opening TimesTuesday morning
- Additional InformationAt Buckden for all patients from both sites.
All patients are seen by the midwife at the clinics in Buckden by appointment. Please leave your details with the reception desk of your local surgery and these shall be given to the midwives.
- Opening TimesFor dates and times of the clinic please visit http://www.cambscommunityservices.nhs.uk/
- Additional InformationBuckden - At the Millennium Hall.
No appointment necessary.
Little Paxton - At the Gordon Road Community Centre. No appointment necessary.
The baby clinics are run by the health visitor for child developmental checks and allow an opportunity to discuss other problems eg sleeping, feeding and child health worries. To contact the health visitor please call 03000295050 option 4 and leave a message and she will get in contact with you.
- NameHealth Checks
- Held byHealth Care Assistants
- Additional InformationThe NHS Health Check is your chance to get your free midlife MOT.
For adults in England aged 40-74 without a pre-existing condition, it checks your circulatory and vascular health and what your risk of getting a disabling vascular disease is. It will take around 20 minutes and is based on straightforward questions and measurements such as age, family history, height and weight with a simple blood test to measure your glucose and cholesterol levels.
Please contact reception to book your health check.
Respiratory Clinic (Asthma And COPD)
- Additional InformationBuckden - Monthly, run by Practice Nurse Sharon Libby.
Little Paxton - Patients are seen by Sharon Libby on an 'as required' basis.
- Additional InformationAsk at reception for details. Diabetic patients have a comprehensive review annually and slight changes to your drugs may be made at your six monthly medication reviews.
Diabetic patients need to have a comprehensive review of their condition annually. Also, at the routine six-monthly review, the doctor may decide to make slight changes to the medication regime.
Family Planning Clinic
- Additional InformationContraceptive care is provided the doctors and nurses during normal surgery hours. Long Acting Contraception (LARC) such as the Intrauterine Device (‘copper coil’), Intrauterine System (‘hormonal coil’) and implants are fitted, removed, and replaced by a qualified member of the team during specific clinics. In order to book an appointment for this service, or discuss your options regarding LARC, please ask reception to arrange a phone call with a LARC provider at the practice.
For more information about LARC, and its role in contraception, managing periods and menopause see https://patient.info/sexual-health/long-acting-reversible-contraceptives-larc.
To lean about how the IUS/IUD is fitted, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9BTOrABa4
Regarding the Mirena coil’s role in menopause see https://balance-menopause.com/uploads/2021/10/The-Mirena-Coil-or-intrauterine-system-IUS.pdf.
The LARC clinic will be run by a trained clinician with the assistance of a health care assistant or nurse. You will be asked to sign a consent form before the procedure, and can ask any questions you may have at this time.
- Held byDoctors
- Additional InformationDr Fargnoli, Dr Newark & Dr Rizkallah carriy out minor surgical procedures by appointment, usually on a Friday afternoon at Buckden. Other Doctors carry out cryoclinic procedures (liquid nitrogen freezing) to eradicate warts and skin lesions as deemed appropriate.
- Additional InformationYou cannot book these directly but have to be referred onto them. Your doctor may well refer you to these clinics if necessary for an opinion, particularly if you have difficult dermatology problems or need special medication. Private dermatology work is undertaken on a strict case-by-case basis.
- Additional InformationWe run regular no-scalpel vasectomy clinics in our minor surgery suite at Buckden Surgery. Please contact the surgery for more details.
Private Medical Examinations
- Additional InformationThe doctors are happy to carry out medicals eg for insurance and driving licence, by appointment at both sites. Please telephone the surgery for an appointment. Do ask at reception for the charges for these services.
- Additional InformationAn influenza vaccination is particularly recommended for patients with heart, lung or kidney disease, diabetes and residents of nursing and rest homes. Pneumonia vaccinations are also included in certain age groups and for patients at risk.
Please contact the reception staff in early September for details of the vaccination dates and to make an appointment for our 'flu day' held annually on a Saturday morning both at Little Paxton and at Buckden Surgery. You may be eligible for a home visit if you are unable to attend the surgery, to have your flu vaccine administered.
- Additional InformationWe are not able to provide travel risk assessments so this will need to be arranged from a private travel clinic/pharmacist.
We can administer the following vaccinations for free on the NHS if they have been recommended by the travel clinic.
polio (given as a combined diphtheria/tetanus/polio jab)
These vaccines are free because they protect against diseases thought to represent the greatest risk to public health if they were brought into the country. If any of the above vaccinations are recommended by the travel clinic, please send us a copy of the clinic's recommendations and then book an appointment with the Practice Nurse.
Other vaccinations/medications will need to be administered or prescribed at the private travel clinic.
Further information can be found at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
- Additional InformationAll clinicians at BandLP are happy to discuss the symptoms of the perimenopause and menopause,
the associated health issues, and the possible treatments with you.
To attend one of these clinics please ring our reception on 01480 810216.